B and K Castle

B and K Castle
On our wedding day, May 1997

Monday, January 24, 2011

January 24th, 2011

I switched out purses this weekend. I put away the canvas bag I purchased on one of my chemo trips to Seattle and am now using one of my other bags. I obviously used this older bag last January because I found a letter from Janaury 2010 in it. Last January was when I started my chemotherapy. The letter was from one of my dear friends wishing me well on my cancer treatment journey. She said, 'I cannot imagine how one goes about preparing to begin chemotherapy.' At the time I received that letter I would have had to agree with her. I didn't know how a person went about preparing for chemo treatments either. It was a whole new world and every step was a new one. I have been thinking about my treatments quite a bit this month since it has been exactly one year since I started chemo. Life is full of reflections. My one bit of advice to everyone is to get a second opinion. I did not get one and I even though I probably would have done exactly what I did getting another perspective is important.

I also have been forgetting to mention some good news on the drug Rituxan that I have been getting. Last year when I started the Rituxan the research showed it to be 50 percent effective in keeping cancer away five years after treatment finished. After another year of research the results now show that Rituxan is 60 percent effective in keeping cancer away five years after finishing treatment. I am hoping that the next few years will keep the percentage growing in its success. Rituxan is a relatively new drug and the research is relatively new. So, as people with Lymphoma live cancer free longer the positive research results should also increase. I am grateful for that extra 10 percent.

My Rituxan treatments have been going well. I have now completed two treatments in Ketchikan and everything has gone well. I really like Deb Davis who is the oncology nurse for the hospital. She is very kind and professional. She put in my IV on both treatments and I did not bruise once. That could not be said for my treatments in Seattle.

Keep well everyone and thanks for reading

1 comment:

  1. Those on Rituxin or who are facing treatment choices will be encouraged by your blog. It's easier or more "connecting" or something to read about Rituxin this way than to wade through all the technical info on the internet. I've been impressed by Deb, too, when I've been with you during your sessions. As Evan said once about someone when he was just a toddler, "She nice, she no bite."

    ReplyDelete