B and K Castle

B and K Castle
On our wedding day, May 1997

Friday, January 13, 2012

January 13, 2012

A friend of mine contacted me this week and told me she was just diagnosed with cancer. I just held my head in my hands and prayed for her and tried hard not to cry. She is beginning the toughest fight of her life. Cancer is horrible. No one would wish it on an enemy and when a friend is diagnosed life stops until the world stops spinning in your head. I wanted to yell at her 'run, run, don't let it catch you' but it is too late. Another wonderful person and another family will have their lives turned upside down because of a illness no one, no matter how smart, truly understands.

She wanted to share the load and get some advice on how to proceed. I gave her some general information and then I thought about her until I feel asleep that night. I woke at 4am and thought about her. I thought of some things to tell her about getting prepared. I mostly just prayed for her and for her family. There are some things I don't want to tell her. She has to discover those things for herself and when she does then we can talk about them. She will know what I mean as do people who have gone through cancer treatments.

So my good friend remember these things:
1. Good enough in the medical field isn't good enough for you, search until you find the best, and know that you are worth it.
2. Pray every day and lean on Jesus. He is already holding you up.
3. Always take a friend along to medical visits to take notes. Listening and writing are too hard when it comes cancer information.
4. Ignore stupid people. People say dumb things and sometimes hurtful, just walk away.
5. Keep moving, physical activity, even a few minutes, will make you feel better.
6. When in doubt get a second opinion, in fact you should get a second opinion anyway, there are options in treatments.
7. Get plenty of rest. You don't need to prove anything to anybody. Everyone who knows and loves you knows you are one tough cookie.
8. Remember this isn't your fault. You did nothing to deserve this. You were always a healthy person and sometimes life is just so @#&%*&* unfair.
9. Picture your future, with your kids next year and with your kids in 10 years. Picture yourself with your grandkids.
10. Ask for help. People will be honored that you asked and everyone wants to help.

I love you

2 comments:

  1. These are all really good Brynn...

    For me, I found it was very important to make plans and stay as "normal" as possible during a time when I felt I had no control over my life. But, with that said, those plans don't always pan out, so I had to learn to roll with it.

    Sending healing thoughts for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brynn, I love you and I am praying for your friend.

      Delete